H.R. 3700 (HOTMA)
The Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act (HOTMA), H.R. 3700, Pub. L. 114-201, 130 Stat. 782 (July 29, 2016) is the first major federal housing legislation in almost two decades; virtually all other legislative measures in recent years have been riders to the annual appropriations acts. HOTMA makes changes to the federal housing programs in a variety of areas including unit inspections, recertifications, public housing income limits, and new rules regarding the use of project-based vouchers.
Many of HOTMA’s provisions require HUD to implement regulations. See below for resources on HUD’s ongoing implementation of HOTMA.
Statutory and Regulatory Authority and Subregulatory Notices
- Text of HOTMA
- HUD published a notice in the Federal Register that provided Initial Guidance on HOTMA Implementation
- HUD’s first proposed HOTMA regulations were published in the Federal Register pursuant to HOTMA provisions that create Public Housing Income Limits.
- HUD published in the Federal Register proposed regulations related to HOTMA’s various Section 8 Voucher Provisions.
Toolkits and Resource Packets
- NHLP’s Review of HOTMA Regulatory Changes webinar held on Thursday, May 18, 2023. (Password: 96$82D+Q)
- HOTMA PowerPoint Presentation
- Closed-caption Transcript
- NHLP’s Memo to HJN Advocates re HOTMA Sections 102, 103, and 104 (May 18, 2023) and accompanying outline
- NHLP, Quick Reference Guide to Implementation of Title I of the Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act (HOTMA) (Updated May 2023)
- HUD’s HOTMA webpage
- NHLP wrote a memo to advocates that includes an overview of HOTMA and an in-depth analysis of its provisions
- NHLP wrote comments to HUD on its proposed regulations regarding Public Housing Income Limits.
- NHLP commented on the regulations related to inspections in the Housing Choice Voucher Program and signed comments drafted by the Preservation Working Group on regulations related to Project-Based Vouchers.