Opportunities at NHLP
Communications and Development Associate (OPEN)
Do you appreciate just how fundamental a decent and stable home is to quality of life? Do you believe that housing is a basic human right? At the National Housing Law Project, we do! The National Housing Law Project (NHLP), renowned for its landmark legal advocacy on behalf of low-income tenants and homeowners, seeks a Communications and Development Associate to join our talented staff in San Francisco. If you share our commitment to housing justice and want to do something about it, this is your opportunity!
The Communications and Development Associate will serve as the key staff member providing multiple supports related to NHLP’s communications and fundraising platforms. The Associate will assist the administrative and operations staff in developing and maintaining materials used for NHLP’s marketing, fundraising and communications. Additionally, the Associate will have primary responsibility for updating and maintaining NHLP’s contact databases used for fundraising, various modes of communications, marketing, and events.
The Associate will help develop content, design and distribute NHLP’s newsletter and will work on NHLP’s various social media platforms. He/she will also assist the Deputy Director in a variety of fundraising activities including management of donor records and support for our 50th anniversary events. The Associate will also work closely with the Operations Manager in the upcoming implementation of a Salesforce database.
The Communications and Development Associate position will provide the successful candidate with a foundational knowledge of NHLP’s communications and fundraising and the inherent opportunity for a go-getter to grow into a position of expanded focus and responsibility.
- One to three years of experience working in an office environment or for recent college graduates, equivalent volunteer or internship experience(s) with clearly documented contributions and demonstrable work product.
- Working understanding of basic website technology, particularly WordPress.
- Highly developed skills in Microsoft Office programs, accurate data entry and keyboarding skills.
- Advanced writing skills including ability to present a polished product that requires minimal edits, ability to concisely summarize, proofread, and copyedit.
- Experience within an organizational environment in a variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and blog; understanding how to prioritize and use each within the context of a nonprofit to promote the organization and to advance our communications and fundraising goals.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and responsibilities.
- A demonstrated passion for NHLP’s mission, knowledge of or interest in learning about our work and the many external social issues that relate to it.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in lay-out design programs: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, or a similar commonly-used software.
- Ability to troubleshoot fundamental or basic computer problems for other staff members, or ease about learning the necessary skills.
- Degree or advanced learning in English, communications, marketing, journalism, or social media is a definite plus.
- Familiarity/experience with any of the following is a plus: Adobe Creative Cloud, MAC OS, IP based dashboards for trouble shooting in-office systems, Citrix, Constant Contact and Vertical Response, Salesforce NPSP.
Salary range is mid-$40s, DOE. NHLP offers an excellent benefits package, including vacation and leave policies, employer-paid health, life and disability benefits, and an employee-funded “pre-tax” retirement plan.
Email resume, two writing samples and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants will be acknowledged and updated on the progress of this recruitment so please, no phone calls.
NHLP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.